Why is it that giving food is such a natural instinct?
- A new baby arrives - we take the family food
- Someone passes away - the church provides meals
- It's a stressful time at work - the office caters brunch
- I fell and have a boo-boo - eat a cookie
- My heart is broken - eat a pint of ice cream
Food obviously nourishes us on many levels. Speaking as someone who's gone through more than her fair share of heartache over the past few years, I have to say that food really only coats the wound for a moment (and the hips for months).
But knowing that someone cared and wanted to take care of me with such a basic need somehow really does help me heal, albeit slowly.
Maybe the saying, "Time heals all wounds" really should say:
Time and the love of others heals all wounds.