New Header

Image Map

Friday, January 29, 2010

Mixing It Up

After my Epic Failure last week, I knew that I owed The Boy and The Niece an amazing meal to start the new week off.

Because of its plate-licking goodness, I once again roasted a chicken in my new crock pot. This time I seasoned the bird with a combination of cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, onion powder and garlic.

{Post-meal notes: Spicy but yummy!! Quite addictive, in fact! I think the leftovers are going to be wonderful in my chicken spaghetti later this week.}

For sides, we had carrots and potatoes, roasted all day along with the bird. I also made a big pan of one of my fa-vo-rite Kenyan foods, Sukuma Wiki.

Sukuma Wiki literally means "to push the week along." It's a meal staple throughout Eastern Africa, because the ingredients are easy to procure and, quite frankly, it's delicious.

You'll often see it made with tomatoes, but I simplified and focused on the fresh greens instead.

After dinner, The Niece pointed at the pan and said: This stuff was awesome.

I think I've recovered nicely from my Epic Failure, don't you?


Shannah's Simple Sukuma Wiki
  • Olive oil
  • 1 bunch collard greens (or kale or mustard greens...)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • Salt to taste
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender and semi-transparent. Thoroughly wash and dry greens. Roll each leaf, like a cigar, and slide horizontally, making long thin strips. Add greens to oil and onions. Lower heat to medium, cover pan and cook until greens are tender and wilted, stirring occasionally. Serve, letting each person salt to taste.


1 comment:

  1. Sukuma Wiki sounds good. Chicken spaghetti even better!
    By the way, how's the bum leg? (Your leg, I mean!)

    ReplyDelete