New Header

Image Map

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mystery Solved!

For the last few months, The Boy and I have noticed trash in our trash bins that does not belong to the Hayleys. You know, things like empty cases of Michelob Light, empty two-liters of soda and fast food bags.

It's not that our bins can't handle the additions - most of the time, that is. It's that it is ANNOYING.

And finally, finally!, absentmindedness has paid off for me. {I always knew it would.}

I was late for work, the last to leave, and in a hurry to throw away the furbabies' litterbox unmentionables. And doesn't it figure that I threw it away in the recycling bin!

Major growl. No time to deal with this - but you can't leave litter and unmentionables in the recycling bin. Particularly since I'd never remember to retrieve it later.

So I pulled it out and noticed MORE TRASH that didn't belong to us. Irritating!

However, I finally found the evidence I needed to identify the culprit - an Amazon package wrap with the recipient's name and address. The guilty party is the teenage boy living in a house across our alley.

{My suspicion: trash in our bin is an attempt to hide purchases and other activity that mom and dad would discover if thrown in the family's bin.}

So, I jotted a note for the neighbors, left it at their front door and went on to work. As I drove off, I called The Boy to tell him that I'd solved The Mystery of the Unwanted Rubbish.

So what did you do? he asked.

And I told him - I wrote a note.

For some reason, he found the note - and my note paper - slightly amusing:

2 comments:

  1. Some cities have ordinances against putting trash in other people's bins. With fines for violations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to see if we have one. This is apparently the teenage son of the travels-a-lot single mom behind us...which totally explains why we've found an empty case of beer multiple times in our trash.

    ReplyDelete