New Header

Image Map

Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Year in Review

It's funny to look back on the year that was - surprising, in many ways. My thoughts, hopes, goals and plans often are brushed aside by the unexpected. Never was that more true than in 2011.

We've taken to calling 2011 the year of Great Sadness. The Niece moved out, my grandfather passed away, we lost two pastors - one to a resignation and one to suicide. Added to that, our neck of the woods went through some of the coldest weather (and frozen pipes) and some of the hottest days (and cracked foundations) that anyone could remember.

Yet we managed to have fun, try new things, have great mini-trips and experiences, spend time with friends and family, and find time to laugh at the ridiculousness that is life.

And you know, that is life: joy and sadness, bitter and sweet. You just can't have one without some of the other.

Highlights from a Hayley 2011

January

I got to meet a childhood hero crush of mine - Rolando Blackman - and reacted just like a child meeting her hero.

February

I fought back fear and visited a dermatologist to have my first-ever full-body skin check. Happily, I lived to tell the tale.

March

I was asked to review a pre-press copy of a new book. What a cool experience.

April

With The Boy's encouragement, I ran my first marathon. {Surprisingly, it wasn't my last.}

May

We hid our first geocache.

June

We watched our Dallas Mavericks win their first-ever NBA championship. {Cue the return of my perma-smile!}

July

I turned 40 and, surprisingly, didn't immediately melt away from old age and irrelevancy.

August

Enjoyed fantastic seats - and a great show - at the Brad Paisley concert. It would have only been better if the temperature hadn't been 1,000,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

September

We escaped for a six day vacation to the middle of nowhere in the Sierra Madres of Mexico.

October

We bought our first direct-from-the-rancher quarter share of beef. Poor Ribeye. Lucky Hayleys.

November

I went to my first-ever NASCAR race. Next time: take ear plugs.

December

We watched our Dallas Mavericks raise their first-ever NBA Championship banner. {Perma-smile still intact.}

************

Looking back over everything, I'm surprised at how much of my down-in-the-dumps feeling about 2011 is actually based in experiences from July through October. A large dose of sadness, compressed into a short period of time, is a powerful thing, I guess.

Ironically, my year - outside of July through October - was precisely what I'd wanted. Slower paced. More home cooking. More running. More time with friends.

So while I'm going to be happy to say Goodbye 2011, I think I want more of the same (minus the sadness) in 2012. And I also want a greater ability to recognize the joy when it comes along.

With that in mind, I wish each of you a Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment