New Header

Image Map

Sunday, January 15, 2012

We're Ready

Bring on the zombie apocalypse. Or the collapse of the world as we know it.

Our freezer is stocked with (mini) pies and ready for anything. What half-crazed maniac (or starving zombie) wouldn't prefer a piping fresh personal homemade pie over causing mayhem?

Awaiting baking:
Apple, Blackberry, Blueberry,
Cherry and Pecan Mini-Pies

*** Edited to add instructions ***

For a step-by-step in how to put together the mini-pies, please refer to my earlier post here.

I wanted to stock my freezer with (relatively) quick ready-to-go mini pies, so I prepared my pies, put the lids and rings on the unbaked pies and labeled with the pie type and baking instructions. Now whenever The Boy comments that he'd love some pie, I merely need to pull one of these suckers out of the freezer, remove the lid and ring, let it come to room temperature, and bake.

Filling recipes:

Apple Pie - makes 3 mini pies
  • 2 baking apples (I used 1 small granny and 1 small gala), peeled and chopped
  • Scant 1/4 c cinnamon sugar
  • 1/4 c brown sugar (not packed)

Blackberry Pie - makes 2 mini pies
  • 1/2 pint fresh blackberries
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 t lemon juice

Blueberry Pie - makes 2 mini pies
  • 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 t vanilla

Cherry Pie - makes 3 mini pies
  • 1 can pitted cherries (not pie filling)
  • 1/2 c brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 T flour
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/2 t salt

Pecan Pie - makes 3 mini pies
  • 1/2 c pecans (whole or chopped)
  • 3/4 c brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 c dark corn syrup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1/8 c unsalted butter,melted
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
Beat eggs with a wire whisk or fork until foamy. Add salt, butter, corn syrup, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well. Pour into prepared mini pies, top with pecans.

4 comments:

  1. Recipe?? Would love to see inside the jar. I assume you take the lid off and bake in the jar? Really interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - I've added them!

    Do take off the ring and lid before baking, but you'll bake the pie in the jar.

    I've also found that it's helpful to put the jar on a cookie sheet when baking - it's much easier to take it in and out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I should have looked back through the blog for how you did it, so thanks for catching me up. I think it's a really GREAT idea. Actually doing it will have to wait a while since I don't have jars that size. I may try making the pies in 8 oz. dessert bowls - not as easy to store in the freezer, but more doable until the next time I pack a crate. :) Ace Hardware hasn't made it to Nairobi yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truthfully, that size is kind of hard to find in US stores, too - I've only found 1 store in my part of Dallas that carries them consistently. You'll have to order some online to pack in your crate the next time you're on STAS.

    I would think the dessert bowls would work, particularly if they are oven-safe (glass would be best).

    ReplyDelete