That's exactly what happened the other week when I received five pickling cucumbers.
I've never pickled anything before nor did I particularly want to engage in a huge canning process. Fortunately, a recent issue of Cooking Light had just featured recipes for quick and easy pickles. I decided to give them a try.
Quick Pickled Dilly Green Beans
- 1/4 c chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1 c white wine vinegar
- 1 c water
- 2 t sugar
- 2 t salt
- 2 t pickling spice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
Spicy Squash Pickles *
- 3/4 lb zucchini, cut into 1/4" thick slices
- 3/4 lb yellow squash, cut into 1/4" thick slices
- 2 t kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 c thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 c water
- 1 c cider vinegar
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 t crushed red pepper
* I made this with cucumbers instead of zucchini and squash.
We really loved the pickled green beans. The flavor of the spicy pickles wasn't my favorite - the sweet syrup didn't seem to work with the cider vinegar. But I did change the primary vegetable ingredient, so that could have affected my results.
Wondering about my post title? Feeling clever today, I am:
Quick + Pickles = Quickles