New Header

Image Map

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Belated Brunch...also Dairy Free

As I mentioned earlier this week, we opted to stay at home for brunch rather than go out for brunch.

What make a good brunch? Hearty fare, heavy on both egg and savory flavors. My answer: A frittata.

Now, frittatas are simple to make and even simpler to exclude dairy from if you need it to be dairy-free.

I rummaged around and found the following:
  • Sweet onions
  • Fresh garlic
  • Jalapenos
  • Tomatoes
  • Black olives
  • Shredded zucchini
  • Shredded roasted chicken
I sauteed diced onion, garlic and jalapenos in olive oil until they were soft and caramelized. Then I added the zucchini and chicken, cooking for a couple of minutes until warmed through. Next I added the olives and diced tomatoes, cooking for another couple of minutes.


I beat six eggs (a good amount for four people eating brunch) with a couple tablespoons of water, then poured them over the filling mixture. Cook over medium heat for five minutes (or so) until the eggs are set.


Transfer the pan to a 400F oven for 10 minutes. The frittata is done when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.


If you have dairy lovers, sprinkle a small amount of cheese on the wedge. Tomatillo salsa is also a nice addition.



I served the frittata with some of my favorite homemade biscuits - made with a mixture of cornmeal and white flour.

I suppose brunch was successful...The Boy said it was the type of meal he would have paid money for. And this is what was in the kitchen afterwards:

No comments:

Post a Comment