New Header

Image Map

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Job Seekers: Here's Your Sign

We are busy at the office.

Flat-out, slap-down busy - mostly because we are short-staffed. I'm in the midst of trying to hire a super person to come and work for me (if you know of any super people, please let me know!).

In the meantime, I'm being overwhelmed with resumes from hopeful job seekers.

I read all of the cover letters and resumes that come my way. Here are a few notes to help you in your job search.
  1. If you apply for multiple positions at our firm, all requiring a vastly different skill set, I will disqualify you for my open position. No person is a jack-of-all-trades. Really, no one is.
  2. If you have a massive typo in your cover letter, such as "...operate out of the cooperate office", I will disqualify you for my open position. Detail is critical. There's only one chance to get it right.
  3. To that point, if you describe yourself in your resume as "High organized and detailed-oriented. Able to accomplish goas through determined effort and persistence", I will disqualify you for my open position. You are obviously not detail-oriented, either in word choice or spelling.
  4. If you state your ideal salary as a figure that is 125% above industry average, I will disqualify you for my open position. It's ok to change industries, but do a little market research first to understand the going rate.
Sincerely,
A frustrated boss who just wants to hire a super person

No comments:

Post a Comment