New Header

Image Map

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

By Request: Quinoa Green Chile Vegetarian Enchiladas

I posted a photo on Facebook of the little furball pouting over the lack of meat in our dinner last night (not that she ever gets any people food...she's just eternally hopeful). The number of requests for the recipe surprised me, so instead of waiting a few weeks to get it up on the blog I thought I'd post it this afternoon.

{Wow - a double post day. That's something special.}

I got the idea from this site (pinned to my Pinterest board months ago). When I got home slightly late last night, I drastically revised the directions to fit my time (little) and hunger (lots).

When Shannah gets hungry, she gets angry. The Boy does not approve of Hangry Shannah.

So, with that explanation, here's my version of quinoa enchiladas using a short-on-time preparation methodology.

Quoina Green Chile Vegetarian Enchiladas
  • 1 c uncooked quinoa
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 2/3 pkg frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 4 oz. can mild green chiles
  • 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 t chili powder
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1/2 t black pepper, freshly ground
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 large can green enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 c shredded cheese
  • 8 burrito-size tortillas
Cook quinoa according to package directions. I usually do this in a large batch (2-3 c of quinoa) on a weekend and keep the cooked quoina in the fridge to use throughout the week.

Preheat oven to 375F. Saute onion, red pepper and garlic for 5 minutes in large skillet over medium heat. In a large bowl, combine spinach, cooked quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, green chiles and spices. Microwave for 4 minutes until heated through. Stir in onion, pepper and garlic.Place a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Divide filling evenly among tortillas, roll up with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in the dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top and bake for 15 minutes, until sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.


And, as I noted last night on Facebook, Bridget wasn't nearly as thrilled with the vegetarian meal as we were.


{And, echoing my younger self who would ask strangers for compliments on my unique hair color: Aren't you doing to say something about my pretty new blog design?}

No comments:

Post a Comment