New Header

Image Map

Friday, January 2, 2009

Going Where I've Never Gone Before

Let's set the stage. Thursday morning, 10 am, White Rock Lake, Dallas. It's the New Year's Day 5-Miler. The second race of the Winter Trilogy.

The weather is crisp chilly. I haven't run any distance of any significance since the Jogger Eggnogger (mid-December). I have never run more than 4.1 miles. Never.

I want to finish this race. I say I'll be happy if I can only run a 5k (3.2 miles) and have to walk the rest, but that's a lie. I want to run the entire 5 miles.

And we're off! Cue mental music. Tracks 3 and 4 of Michael W. Smith's A New Hallelujah set the perfect pace. Unfortunately I only know snippets of each song, which gets a little old.
  • Mile 1 - no problem.
  • Mile 2 - no problem.
  • Mile 2.2 - hi Kelly!!! (as he's past the turnaround, making his way to the finish line)
  • Mile 3 - no problem.
  • Mile 3.2 - really? A 5k? Still no problem!
  • Mile 4 - no problem! Wow! I'm thinking I might run the entire race...no wall, no pain. Yippie!
  • Mile 4.8 - Kelly's running to meet me, cheering me on. I can do it!!
  • Mile 5 - 1 hr, 10 seconds...barely over 12 minute miles. I did it! And in a respectable time, too!!
I've started off 2009 by doing something I've never done before: run (jog) 5 miles. What a way to ring in the new year!

And since I followed it up by eating black eyed peas, 2009 may be full of many things I've never done before.

Welcome 2009! Here's to doing things you've never done before. Carpe diem!

8 comments:

  1. Well done. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! My goal for 2009 is to actually complete a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, Edo! Let me know how you get on with that!! (Did you like the bow-head picture from a couple of days ago? It cracks me up!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same to you, John; same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you emailed me photos, I have not gotten them. I did see the photo on your blog though. I finally posted my pictures from the holidays though. Need to do my blog here in the next day or so. So behind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! I have important question. . .did you get another shirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't email them. I'm not that organized.

    ReplyDelete