New Header

Image Map

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just What I've Always Wanted!!!

We spent the holiday weekend with our good friends in East Texas. On the weekend's (very limited) agenda was watching fireworks in Jefferson, Texas.

It's a pretty fun event. Everyone gathers near the river, spreads out blankets and settles in to enjoy the show.


The town may be small, but it's a tourist mecca and thus, has plenty of tax revenue to blow up on the 4th. I'm told they hire professionals to choreograph the show.


But the fireworks weren't the most exciting part of the evening for me. My glow bracelets were.

I love glow sticks, glow necklaces and glow bracelets. They're an instant memory of summers at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, where everyone wore a glowing band as they wandered through the park. The bus (or van) ride back to my hometown was full of sleepy, motion-sick, exhausted kids, still aglow from summer fun thanks to glow necklaces.

Everyone, that is, except for me. I was usually flat out of spending money by evening and never got a glow necklace of my own.

So this Saturday, just before we claimed our spot on the riverbank, we took a walking tour. Our guide handed out glow bracelets.

I didn't stick around for the whole tour, but I did keep my glow bracelets on until they ran out of juice the next morning!


2 comments:

  1. There used to be a place in Jefferson TX that served the best hamburgers and homemade pies! Also a wonderful museum of Gone With the Wind memorabilia.
    grA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're thinking of The Hamburger Store, which is unfortunately under new management and isn't nearly as good. I loved their lemon meringue pie!

    ReplyDelete