New Header

Image Map

Monday, August 24, 2009

We Heart Restaurant Week: Nana's

We finished off Restaurant Week with a trip to Nana's.

A long-time restaurant, Nana's brought in a new chef and renovated its menu: several awards later, we knew it was time for us to try it out.

Monday's meal at Abacus was a study of flavors and taste bud surprises. Thursday's meal at Nana's was a study of simple food prepared extraordinarily well.

Starters:

Kelly ordered the Mozzarella Bocconcini with Oven Roasted Grape Tomatoes, EVO and Basil. What would be a typical mozzarella salad was made very special by roasting the tomatoes. Delicious!


I ordered the Cavatelli with Lamb Bolognaise and Liquid Basil Pesto. The lamb combined with the extremely light pesto was a taste bud delight.

Entrees:

Kelly ordered the Grilled Petit Filet of Beef with Rosemary-Lemon Butter and Grana Padano Fries. What could have been a "normal" beef filet and fries was elevated to unbelievable by the hint of rosemary butter. I'm not normally a steak person, but I was envious.


I ordered the Seared Sea Scallops with Mojo Verde, Wrinkled Potatoes and Spring Onions. The scallops were perfectly prepared, and the mojo verde (a verde sauce made with avocado) was simply amazing!


Desserts:

Kelly hesitated for a moment before ordering and the waiter suggested the simply-named Peanut Butter, Nutella Pebbles and Toast, adding that "It's very popular." So Kelly ordered it. Toasted cake, homemade grape coulis, peanut butter ice cream and Nutella chunks...this was the best thing I've tasted in a long time. Unique, creative and utterly delightful, I thought about Kelly's dessert long after I finished savoring the one measly bite he proffered.


I ordered the Orange Chiffon Migas with Glazed Strawberries, Vanilla Chantilly and Licorice. I never could taste the licorice (thankfully!), but overall this dessert reminded me of the strawberries and cream we enjoyed while living in the UK. The "orange chiffon migas" was a very light orange-flavored chiffon cake, resting underneath the strawberries and cream. Delicious, but I couldn't help but wonder where my Pimm's was...


All in all, another wonderful meal at another new-to-the-Hayleys-restaurant. We've already got plans to return for a couples dinner with our good friends.

4 comments:

  1. With all these delicious sounding (and looking) foods you and Sheryl are discussing, my mouth is watering. Forget Rachael, Giada, Contessa, Sandra Lee, Emeril.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I wish I had Sheryl and Richard in town to cook for us so we wouldn't have to drive downtown.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much did you say a personal chef's salary would be? And are there in-house living quarters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That depends on whether maid service comes with the deal or not...

    ReplyDelete