New Header

Image Map

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nostalgia, Please, On Whole-Wheat Pita

While I'm not an overly disciplined person, I do keep fairly strict control of my grocery shopping habits. I make a list and shop what's on my list.

My mom taught me to plan weekly menus and shop accordingly. The Boy encouraged me to shop using cash rather than a credit card. Both of those help one stay on task, and on budget, while stocking the household pantry.

This weekend, I broke my buy-what's-on-the-list rule. I was in Sprouts and saw fresh watercress. It was by no means a bargain ($3 for a small bunch!?!), but I couldn't resist.

I hardly see watercress at the grocery store - at least not around these parts. Not so when we lived in the UK. Watercress was a staple at the store and a common addition to salads and sandwiches.

I often went for my major grocery shopping trips mid-morning. It was a good time to hit the markets, after the morning rush and school drops. The larger grocery stores weren't within easy walking distance from our home, nor did I relish the thought of carting so much shopping on public transport.

So I'd drive from our little village of Eastcote to Watford. I'd make a quick stop at Tesco (home to Krispy Kreme donuts!), and stop in at the farmer's market. The majority of my purchases, however, I made at Asda.

{Mid-week, I stopped at Sainsbury's for smaller items. This was my absolute favorite store, but a little too pricey to shop at for all of our needs.}

By the time I arrived at Asda, it was usually approaching noon. I knew I'd blow the budget on everything in sight if I didn't eat something.

One fantastic thing about UK grocery stores is the abundance of tasty (and healthy) sandwich options - right at the front of the store. My favorite sandwich to grab and munch while wandering the aisles was Egg and Cress.

There's just something about an egg salad sandwich, topped with delicate watercress leaves that makes me think of England. It's mustardy and tangy, fresh and watery - all at the same time.

And having an Egg and Cress sandwich here in Dallas, while it's raining like mad, is giving me a major case of nostalgia for our little semi-detatched in Eastcote. Only there, I'd likely be cuddling with Bridget on our sofa in front of the fireplace, egg and cress in one hand and a piping hot cup of tea on the side table. (Unless, of course, I was wandering the aisles at Asda!)


5 comments:

  1. I miss getting watercress here, too. Every week in Honolulu we would pick up baby watercress at the farmers' market. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange, but I don't know if I've tasted watercress or not! I've not seen it in the market or perhaps I didn't recognize it. Sounds good. Doubt we'll ever have it here where the food staff doesn't realize there's anything but iceberg lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rainy weather makes my husband homesick for England - he grew up there (church planting American parents). His remedy is to make himself a cup of British tea and reminisce for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I'm reading, you can grow watercress at home. It's recommended for container gardening, as watercress is classified as a non-native invasive plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good cup of tea goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete