New Header

Image Map

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Kansas Born, Kansas Raised

Yesterday while I was driving home - in the rain - from the grocery store, I tuned into Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion.

Just at that moment, Garrison started leading the audience in a sing-along of Home On The Range...the state song of my home state, Kansas.

There's nothing like singing at the top of your lungs while you're alone in the car. And there's nothing like an old familiar song to bring back great childhood memories.

At our wedding the preacher told us that only God could have brought a Tyler Rose (The Boy's hometown) and a Kansas sunflower (me) together. Ten-and-a-half years later, I still have plenty of the Sunflower State still in me.

Today I'm feeling especially proud to be Kansas stock, because it's my dear Grandpa A's birthday. I count myself blessed as a late 30-something to still have my grandfather here to share wisdom, experience and wonderful stories.

(How many folks are fortunate enough to ask their grandparents, "Is this recession really as terrible as the Great Depression?" or "Share another story about what it was like to be married during the war years.")

Happy birthday, Grandpa, from your punkin!

5 comments:

  1. You might be interested to know one of your "shirt tail relatives", Brewster Higley, wrote the words to the Kansas State Song, "Home on the Range. His cabin, where it was written, still stands near Smith Center KS....a historic site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post I happened to see a news story headline "Sunflower Boy". Thinking it had something to do with someone from Kansas, I clicked on the story. It had nothing to do with Kansas. Instead it was a sad and poignant story about the grower of a prize-winning sunflower. It might be of interest to you anyway.

    http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/04/greene.wyatt.sunflower/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Punkin, with your punkin colored hair. You gave us much pleasure in your extended visits to Derby’s “Grand Ma’s House”, the “skunk” experience in the camp ground, the “no talk session from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, our “log cabin” stay at Glorieta, the lady taking your soap at Roaring River camp ground, plus many other outstanding times too numerous to mention. How proud I was at your College Graduation In Springfield and your “Missionary Commissioning”. I’m looking forward to your visit this coming Christmas time. Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all of the reasons I love keeping a blog! Love the family history, enjoyed the Sunflower Boy story (though it *was* sad) and definitely relived some great memories!

    ReplyDelete