New Header

Image Map

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is It Too Much To Ask?

Just before going to bed last night, I told The Boy that all I really wanted was a decent night's sleep. I've had so much going on lately that I've taken to waking up at 4:30 am, thinking about the day's deadlines.

I really really needed sleep.

Since I don't remember saying anything else, I think I managed to fall asleep fairly quickly. I don't even remember any dreams, so I think I slept soundly as well.

Until 3:45 a.m.

I know I woke up at 3:45 because I looked at the clock when the worst sound imaginable pulled me out of a dead sleep. One of the furbabies was throwing up in our bathroom.

Several thoughts raced through my mind
  • What time is it?
  • Man, I feel hot - I need to get a lighter blanket
  • Hmmm....I think I might need to go to the restroom.
  • Thank God the cat is throwing up on tile and not our bed.
Of course, at this point I was wide awake. So I got up, went to the bathroom - noticed Bridget toying with what had to be a hairball and realized that a clean-up was in order.

As I was walking back into our bathroom after a pilgrimage to the kitchen...in the dark...stopping to comfort a traumatized Ben (The Vomitor) who was huddled on the stairs...The Boy said, What are you doing?

Cleaning up a horrible hairball. And getting a lighter-weight blanket. And hopefully going back to sleep, I replied.

Now we were both wide awake.

I quickly cleaned things up, changed blankets on the bed and huddled under the covers, desperate to sleep.

Meanwhile, The Vomitor rejoined us in bed, purring loudly.

Why on earth is he purring so loudly, muttered The Boy.

I suppose he's pleased that he got rid of a horrible hair ball, I replied.

At least someone is happy, sighed The Boy.

Thirty minutes later, I looked at the clock. The Vomitor was still purring and the little girl was now in bed, wheezing through a stuffy nose.

The furbabies were determined to keep us awake.

So today I am very tired. I didn't get a good night's sleep and now I have dark circles under my eyes. I think I'm going to name them:



Alright, so those aren't my eyes in the photo above. But I couldn't find my camera. And I'm not sure I could focus my eyes - or the camera, for that matter - even if I did find it.

And did I mention I'm tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment