New Header

Image Map

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cold Weather Cooking

As I mentioned earlier, it's cold outside. Distressing, actually, given that the work week was sunny and warm. Now that it's the weekend, it's turned cold and dreary.

Such is spring, I suppose!

Anyway, we didn't feel like doing much on Saturday other than snuggling, watching tv, playing games and doing housework. And of course, we had to eat something that would warm the bones a bit!

The Boy had brought home a colleague's recipe after a soup luncheon at the office. Today seemed a perfect day to try it out.

Chipotle Turkey and Corn Soup
  • 1 T. oil
  • Boneless cooked turkey breast (I used about 3/4 lb)
  • 1/4 c. chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 can white cream style corn
  • 1 can white shoepeg corn
  • 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 t. salt
Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in next 4 ingredients, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and salt (adjust salt to taste based on saltiness of broth and personal preference).

Doesn't this look yummy?

It's the kind of soup that calls for fresh, hot cornbread.

But horror upon horrors! I discovered I was all out of Corn Kits!

Thankfully I maintain a well stocked pantry. I just tossed together some corn meal, flour, buttermilk, egg and whatnot, plus the Pioneer Woman's recipe for cornbread. (Hey...I'm from the north, married to a man from the south. Not just any homemade recipe for cornbread would do. All of my other recipes called for sugar! Say it ain't so...!!)

Cornbread crisis averted.


Cut a slab of cornbread, pour a ladle (or two...or three) over top and sit back to enjoy the spice!


Mmm-hmmm. That's what I call cold-spring-day cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment