New Header

Image Map

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Backyard Surprise

All of us at the Hayley House have enjoyed a particularly busy backyard lately. Busy, that is, with lots and lots of bunnies.

Our grass, apparently, is at bunny-approved length.

Somehow the sight of all of the hopping, munching, sunbathing and furbaby stare-downs through the patio French doors is enough to make my lawn-watering efforts worthwhile.

Mid-week, I was bustling around in a (vain) attempt to leave early for a breakfast meeting. As I rushed back to the kitchen after finishing my morning beauty routine, The Boy turned to me, saying, There you are! I was wondering if you'd ever get in here!!

I was taken aback. After all, that's not a usual comment around our house, even though I'm usually running late and I'm pretty sure he's thinking that a good bit of the time.

But it wasn't my lateness that was on his mind. No - what had caught his eye, and kept him glued to the patio doors for fear of missing any movement - was a cute bundle of fur outside.

Nestled between our walking stones (which lead from the patio to the back gate), was an itty-bitty-cute-as-can-be baby bunny.

It was very busy pretending to be a rock, ears glued to his head, hardly breathing:


I'm sure he was thinking, You can't see me! I'm a rock! My mama told me to be still as a rock so you can't see me!!

Very cute. And I pretended that he was a rock, even though I was crawling on the ground less than 3 feet away to get a closer look.

Isn't he the sweetest thing ever?

11 comments:

  1. I know someone who deliberately let the grass grow very tall around a particular spot in our backyard one time - just because a baby rabbit had hidden itself close to the ground as the lawn mower roared near him/her. The grass in that little nesting area wasn't tended to for weeks just in case.......pesky big rabbits ate all my new lettuce garden later. Hummm...I wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. We have a bunch of babies nesting under our neighbors patio here at our complex. We try to keep Johnny away from that area so he won't scare them off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have bunnies in all sizes. Sure they're cute, but . . . not when they are always eating my flowers and landscaping plants! Some of the "cute" bunnies are larger than a small dog. And there is so much greenery around not in our yard. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a small world. I have a few of his larger 'farm raised' cousins in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nita - I'm glad to know that baby bunny love abounds!!! Kelly's avoided mowing or watering to protect Thumper, too.

    @Ed - we warned the teen girls in the house to leave Thumper alone so his mama would come back for him.

    @Sheryl - what's a few flowers between friends? :)

    @John - I *used* to think that Kelly was the worst.boy.ever. Apparently, he has some serious competition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you know he's not evil Little Bunny Foo-Foo disguised as cute little Thumper?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @boacnstr - Ahem. That was "little" bunny foo foo, not "evil" bunny foo foo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard Bunny foo foo was hare today, goon tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Nita - now that's just awful!! So awful I'm still giggling. :)

    ReplyDelete