New Header

Image Map

Sunday, July 18, 2010

There is Too Much. Let Me Sum Up

This year's vacation got off to an inconspicuous start. We were totally unprepared, with no time to plot or plan. Life circumstances led us to cancel vacation, then reschedule it five days later. Talk about hectic.

So hectic, in fact, that I didn't even take a journal to capture the stories of our trip while we were on the road. That's a first!

But despite everything, I can heartily recommend packing up and driving to Colorado - agenda or not. There's more than enough to keep one entertained.

Colorado-New Mexico border

For example, you can wildlife watch - in town or on the road:

Downtown Buena Vista, 6:30 a.m.

Or you can crazy-people watch. Trust me, there are plenty in Colorado.

Bishop Castle

If you're a coffee lover, there are a host of wonderful organic coffee joints. Note: some coffee joints are particularly good places to crazy-people watch.

Our favorite. My ideal coffee shop!

There were 5k's to run.

The Boy placed in the Top 10 in his age group - at 8,200 ft above sea level!

Of course, you have to take time to enjoy the purple mountain majesty.
Sunrise at our campsite

There were mountains to be conquered.

Mount Elbert - 14,433 feet

Mountains that would eventually be summited:

The happy three at the summit marker!

Mountains that then mock you on the difficult climb/scramble down:

Who was crooked? Me or the photographer?

There were geocaches to find:

A micro-cache.

We logged over twenty, in fact, including one at the top of Mount Elbert.

A geocache in a cave!

There were mile ruins and ghost towns a-plenty.

Outside of Leadville.

And even a few long-lost persons of note.

"Texas Jack" - buried by Buffalo Bill Cody!

And just to play tourist, we made sure we rode a historic train.

The Leadville Scenic train


And, of course, what would any camping trip be without s'mores?




Fun, fun, fun! And, to be honest, I didn't feel like I got to do everything I wanted to do. With another week, I'd have explored some ghost towns in depth, gone hiking, went river rafting and, because I love it, done more geocaching.

I have to say that sometimes I'm still amazed out how much I, a city girl, enjoy camping on vacation. Must be a result of the camping trips I enjoyed with my grandparents while I was a little girl.

So where is vacation next year? We're thinking the Appalachian Mountains, in western North Carolina or eastern Tennessee. (Though we're off to Russia before too long, I don't truly count that as our Annual Vacation. It's a Birthday Bonus Trip!!)

2 comments:

  1. So.much.fun.
    I'm with you, though, there were so many more things that didn't get done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an excuse for another trip!

    ReplyDelete