New Header

Image Map

Friday, July 1, 2011

On a Cupcake Hunt

I'm always in the mood for a treasure hunt - I suppose that's why I like geocaching. I also really love to find great local restaurants. If I can combine the two, even better.

You know I was interested, then, when I saw a local food blogger's raves on cupcakes by a local bakery, Trailercakes. I connected with a like-cupcake-minded friend and we made plans for Dessert Before Lunch. {Isn't that the best type of plan?}

Here's the thing: Trailercakes isn't a bakery. Well, it is a bakery, but it doesn't have a storefront. They sell cupcakes out of a gorgeous Airstream Trailer at various locations and special events around Dallas-Fort Worth. They also sell a limited number of cupcakes on a first come-first devoured basis from their commercial kitchen a few days a week.

This kitchen, mind you, is in the basement of an office building. You have to want a cupcake to hunt them down. Fortunately for me, I did.


A full whiteboard of flavors is posted outside the door - but that's really an FYI and information for placing larger-scale orders.


What's available in the kitchen various based on what they're making that day. If you follow Trailercakes on Facebook or Twitter, you'll get a heads up on what to expect.

On the day J and I went, they were selling:

  • Hitched (white cake/white frosting) - tastes just like wedding cake. My favorite!
  • Laverne and Shirley (chocolate cake/white frosting) - yum, yum. The cake had mini-chocolate chips inside. A very nice surprise.
  • Slap Your Mother (chocolate cake/chocolate frosting) - good, but overwhelming. To be fair, I'm not a big chocolate eater so it doesn't take me more than a tiny bite to enter heavenly chocolate overload. 


Make sure you look at their storage instructions in the photo above!

My thoughts? This is a great shop - I love their marketing approach, the product is fantastic and, in my opinion, on the cheap side for a custom cupcake. I'd buy them for birthday parties or as a featured dessert at a special event. Or simply when I want to have Dessert for Lunch with my good friend, J.

No comments:

Post a Comment