New Header

Image Map

Monday, November 14, 2011

Running the Mission Trail

Some people run a marathon for health. Some for the challenge.

I run to keep up with The Boy...and in San Antonio, to run the mission trail.


This is the first time I've ever been accused of running a tourism marathon. But seriously, what is the point of running past four historic missions if you aren't going to gawk a bit at them. The Alamo is well-known, of course.

Me running in front of the Alamo
But I had never seen Mission Concepcion (mile 12) or Mission San Jose (mile 14) or Mission San Juan Capistrano (mile 17.5). So I made sure to take an extra look, or two, before running past.

Because, you see, when you run you often don't see much of anything during the race. You're too focused on putting one foot in front of the other. And when the weather is 85F (believe me: that's HOT) with no clouds, and some part of your calf musculature makes an audible "pop" around mile 18 - causing great agony - looking at historic missions isn't high on your to-do list.

I'm proud to report, pop or no pop, that I managed to hobble all the way to the finish line. I even shaved 2 minutes off my last marathon time. Not bad!!!

Now if I can just have a marathon with optimal weather, it would be interesting to see how well I could actually do!

Post marathon meal at our San Antonio
favorite: Rosario's

No comments:

Post a Comment