New Header

Image Map

Monday, December 5, 2011

Checking the List

Not my Christmas list...that would be a miracle. I'm way behind on shopping (and decorating and cooking and...)

But somehow, I did find time to stop at the library for one last checkout for 2011: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. And with that, I had one more goal to check off my 101 list (check out a book from the public library every other month for a year).

It's hard to believe I've never read Tuesdays with Morrie. I'm going to chalk that up to living overseas when it was released. You simply miss out on several things, like best selling books and the OJ Simpson murder trial.

Since everyone's likely read this already, I thought I'd share one of my favorite passages. It relates so well to the anger and envy poisoning the world today:

Mitch, if you're trying to show off for people at the top,
forget it. They will look down on you anyhow.
And if you're trying to show off for people at the bottom,
forget it. They will only envy you.
Status will get you nowhere...
Do the kinds of things that come from the heart.
When you do, you won't be dissatisfied, you won't be envious,
you won't be longing for somebody else's things.

No comments:

Post a Comment