New Header

Image Map

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Tasty Treat

Ever since our friend S learned she was severely lactose intolerant, avoiding dairy has become second nature whenever the four of us are together. However, it's also changed the way I shop and think about food.

Did you know that dairy is in nearly everything? Ok, that's an exaggeration - but dairy products are in many of the food items you commonly purchase at the store.

So when I saw not one, but two recipes for making whipped cream with coconut milk, I knew I had to give it a try. You see, I'm determined to find as many recipes as possible that all of us can enjoy together

It's my own personal version of No Child Left Behind.

Dairy Free Whipped Cream
  • Canned full-fat coconut milk
  • Sugar (or non-sugar substitute, such as stevia)
  • Cinnamon (optional)
  • Vanilla (optional)
Chill can (open or unopened) overnight in refrigerator. It will become extremely thick. Pour off the water (reserve it to make my yummy green smoothies!) and put the solid coconut milk in a bowl.


Add sweetener to taste. If desired, add cinnamon and/or vanilla. Whip everything together with a fork or beaters.

Use the topping any way that you'd use good old fashioned whipped cream. And may I recommend trying blueberry shortcake?

3 comments:

  1. what is different between the canned coconut milk and the container? My container coconut milk doesn't become thick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. Perhaps it is the way it is processed - the container is designed to be drunk, so is mixed/prepared differently. The can is designed to be cooked with.

    Just guessing though.

    ReplyDelete