New Header

Image Map

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Success

It was an up and down week for me.
  • Tough (nearly impossible) deadlines - down
  • Two flat tires - down
  • Baby shower for friends - up
  • The Boy left for a trip - down
  • The Boy came home from a trip - up
  • Unexpected complications in a project - down
  • Baby sister ill - down
And then...


Definitely an up.

It was weird to receive this type of award in the midst of an up and down week. And as a 40-year-old, I feel too young to be in a hall of any sort.

But I'm somewhat over all of the weirdness part now. In fact, I feel pretty chuffed about it.

What I really enjoyed about the event was the induction speech. The speaker listed off things that my colleagues had said about me and what I do - that was a really interesting experience. It was somewhat like listening in to what people might say at your funeral (ha!).

Not to imply that they wish me dead, or that I feel dead, but we don't normally get to sit and listen to people share what makes us unique and appreciated.

{Side note: Why don't we? It's very affirming...in a good way.}

So this got me to thinking: What makes a person successful?

Part of what caused my mental struggle was the thought that I wasn't necessarily successful by the normal counts of work success. My firm wins - and loses - like many others. Some of those wins are facilitated by my efforts, some are not.

{Side note 2: That's life. Very few of us are The Man that makes everything happen. To believe otherwise is usually self-deception.}

But back to my question: What makes a person successful?

After much thought this past week, I think the answer is:

Have the right definition of success.

Success isn't winning at all costs, having a host of admirers, looking HOTT, being the go-to person in any and all situations.

Success is about being a good friend, a hard worker, a person who keeps perspective, giving encouragement and counsel, and not compromising on the essentials.

{Edited to add this - ironically Seth Godin has on his mind, too. See his blog post, also posted today.}

For Shannah, that means not being afraid to live out the verse I have taped on my computer monitor at work:

Work willingly at whatever you do,
as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment