After a car cut us off the other day and he noticed the driver was on the phone, he exclaimed:
Cell phones and smart phones haven't made us better.
They've made us worse drivers and disconnected people.
You can have four people in a room and no one is looking at each other.
Probably true for laptops, tablets and the like.
I've thought about (and even gave myself a 101 goal to force the issue) going on a different kind of diet. A low-comm diet. Low comm = low communication.
It would look something like this:
- Check Facebook once a day.
- Check Twitter once or twice a day.
- Check personal email once a day.
- Go laptop/iPhone free in the evening, maybe even for a weekend.
- Go to dinner without my iPhone.
- Don't respond instantly to emails.
- Check email on a scheduled basis rather than having my email open all the time.
That's probably a sign that I need to do it. Someday.