New Header

Image Map

Saturday, June 22, 2013

I Loved It: Not So Much for The Boy

I tried a new recipe from Pinterest last week.

Sidebar: I'm always trying new recipes, so this isn't a surprise. It may, however, be a surprise to learn that The Boy gets tired of my never-ending quest for the next new recipe and demands his favorites on a regular basis. This is why we have The List.

Back to my story: I tried a new recipe from Pinterest last week. I loved it. The Boy didn't. So I ate the leftovers myself and threw the recipe away. But because I thought it was good, I'm sharing the recipe here for someone else to give it a try.

I think he might have liked it if I'd added bacon or a very flavorful ham. His primary complaint was that the flavor was flat. I loved the zing of the lemon in the sauce - it was imperceptible to him.

You win some, you lose some.

Spring Vegetable Penne with Lemon-Cream Sauce
Original recipe here
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 3/4 c onion
  • 4 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1 t chopped thyme
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 T flour
  • 1/2 c chicken broth
  • 1/2 c half-and-half
  • 3/4 c frozen green peas
  • 3 T shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/2 t grated citrus rind
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t black pepper
  • 8 oz uncooked penne
  • 1 lb diagonally cut asparagus
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add onion and mushrooms and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add thyme and garlic, saute 1 minute. Sprinkle mushroom mixture evenly with flour and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in broth and half-and-half. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add peas, 2 T cheese, rind, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Cook 1 minute or until peas are thoroughly heated. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add asparagus to pan. Drain. Add pasta mixture to mushroom mixture, toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 T cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment