New Header

Image Map

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Weekend When Everything Cancelled

This weekend, everything we had scheduled was cancelled.

The house guests that we thought would be in through the end of the day on Saturday were out the door by 7:30 am. The dinner party that evening was scratched due to illness.

It's a weird thing to have nothing to do - nothing other than the ordinary things of life. That is: Laundry, house cleaning, training runs and restocking fresh veg in the fridge.

At one point, I looked at Kelly and said: I think I'm actually bored.

Of course, bored for me looks an awful lot like sitting still for an hour.

However, having things cancel or change allowed us to focus on one thing above all else: Resting.

Rest is so important and so undervalued. As in - you don't realize how much you need it until you don't have it. Or until you get an opportunity to have it.

We lazed in bed a whole hour longer than usual. My neck muscles felt relaxed for the first time in weeks. I had energy to sort through old boxes, recycling a ton of outdated papers. I brushed both furbabies for a couple of hours (lucky, lucky them).

It was good.

We are really trying to hold to our (my) word for 2014: Intentional.

Intentional living is giving us space for rest on the weekends - a lighter schedule that allows us to run errands together, enjoy time with friends, or, when everything cancels, brush the furbabies for hours.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment