New Header

Image Map

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Crossing Off the List Just in Time

I'd had "Visit The Mecca in East Dallas" on my 101 list for some time.

It was a huge shock to read in our local newspaper that The Mecca was closing - at least for a while, perhaps permanently. That news bumped visiting The Mecca higher in our priority list. So after a Saturday run, we headed to East Dallas for breakfast.


Since 1938! Any diner that's survived 76 years in business is one worth visiting.


 Classic old-school - ads on the table, ads on the coffee cups, a bucket of creamer to serve yourself.


This seasoning blend was wonderful and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a bottle when we left. We put it on our eggs.


When in a diner, you eat a diner breakfast - in other words, eggs over medium, bacon, grits and a side of hash browns to share.


 And our meal came with biscuits and gravy. Lord almighty!


The Mecca is famous for its cinnamon rolls, so we picked one up to take home. It was large enough to make four servings. FOUR.


I really hope The Mecca finds a new home. The food was great - they deserve another 76 years (at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment