New Header

Image Map

Saturday, March 28, 2009

It's a Crazy World

Must be flexible and prepared for change. Must be a decision-maker and a self-starter.

If I had a dollar for every time I read this sort of job description, I would have enough money to never read a job description ever again! But looking for a job isn't what's on my mind right now - being flexible and prepared for change is.

I'm finding it very difficult to be a decision-maker and a self-starter these days. I consider options, plot a course of action and off I trot only to have the circumstances change in an instant. It seems that life, work, the market, you name it, is so in flux that change is the only constant we have.

For example, this was my week at work:

Monday - Launch the website! Don't launch the website yet, it needs a tweak. The website is nowhere near launching.

Tuesday - Launch the website. Launched the website! Where is the website? We have a problem with the website. Write a fee proposal. Change the fee proposal. Who's responsible for the fee proposal?

Wednesday - The website's working! The internet's crashed and no one can look at the website. The internet's working but the firewall's not. Where's the fee proposal? Did you hear we have a new project?

Thursday - Wrote the fee proposal. Approved the fee proposal. When are you going to finish populating the website? Bummer, new project is cancelled. Another client called - they want you to revise last week's fee proposal.

Friday - New project is back on. Fee proposal has been sent. Other fee proposal has been revised and sent. I really don't care when I populate the website.

See what I mean? It's just a darn rollercoaster these days. I honestly don't think I'm super busy, but I do think I'm super confused. It's hard to stay on track and on task when the track and the task keep changing.



Either I'm getting older or it's the economy. Blaming the economy seems pretty popular these days, so why should I be any different?

4 comments:

  1. If I had a dollar for every time I read a job description like that, I'd spend an awful lot of time looking for job descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repeat after me, at least I have steady hours ... unlike my poor poor sister who works 5 1/2 hours, then 7 hours later works 9 hours, then 7 hours later is scheduled for another 7.5 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have (somewhat) steady hours.
    I have (somewhat) steady hours.
    I only have 2 cats, not 2 kids...

    ReplyDelete