New Header

Image Map

Monday, September 21, 2009

Getting Organized: Hair Care

Another weekend, another round of projects! If you thought high-tech upgrades were the only thing happening around the Hayley House, think again...

While men were putting things together (making appropriate manly sounds through the process), I stayed out of the way and worked on a project of my own.

Because we still haven't found a shelving and drawer system that we like for the bathroom cabinet (formerly a laundry drop, now a storage cabinet - more on that project when it's finished), I've been struggling for a way to keep my hair products organized.

You see, the bathroom only has one drawer. Yes, one drawer for two people. Our master bathroom is large enough to be a sublet in NYC, yet only contains one storage drawer.

So what should you do if you're a wife that believes in sharing, even though you clearly have more things to store than your husband? Find a way to make it work, that's what.

When the boy and I got married 10 years ago, we were given a handy little picnic set. Over the years, the picnic "stuff" was used and lost/worn out. But the cute carrying basket remained. My mother-in-law suggested that I use the basket to store kitchen towels in our small apartment kitchen and our even smaller London kitchen.


Ignore that naughty kitty on the fridge! She's not part of the story...

We now have a house with plenty of room for storing kitchen towels. My little basket needed to go or it needed a new purpose. Looking at it, I realized that its compartments were perfect for storing hair products.

But the watermelons painted on the side didn't really work with my vision of a bathroom storage basket. So I removed the carrying handle and purchased a can of Krylon Flat White Spray Paint.

Honestly, the hardest part of the project was waiting for a sunny day so I could spray paint outside and let the basket dry thoroughly.


See how it fits perfectly under the bathroom sink? Easy to grab, easy to see what I need.

3 comments: