New Header

Image Map

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Here's The Secret...

Remember the 60 loaves of Poppy Seed bread we baked for colleagues? (I sure do!)

Turns out they were just as popular with the recipients as they are with our family! The recipe is my grandmother's, passed on to the rest of the family.

And there's a big reason it's such a popular bread.

It's not really bread.

Seriously. Our poppy seed bread really should be called Poppy Seed Cake Baked in Loaf Pans. It's a far lighter and airier poppy seed version of pound cake. And it's gooooo-oooood.

I had an email asking if I'd share the recipe. Of course I will! As long as you promise that you won't lie to yourself and believe you're getting your daily serving of whole grains.


Poppy Seed Bread
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 3 oz package instant vanilla pudding
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup poppy seeds
  • Cinnamon-sugar
Mix cake and pudding mix. Add oil, juices and water. Mix thoroughly. Add eggs, beating in one at a time. Stir in vanilla and poppy seeds. Pour into 3 small loaf pans (or 5 mini-loaf pans). Bake in 350F oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown. While still warm, sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mix.

Delicious!

And I would like to say that this is the slightly healthier version of the family poppy seed bread. My grandma would remove the warm loaves from their pans and shake them in a bag of cinnamon-sugar, coating the entire loaf.

Do I need to tell you how good that tasted? I didn't think so.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I believe the recipe said to butter the pans and coat with cinnamon sugar before pouring in the batter ....

    ReplyDelete