New Header

Image Map

Monday, March 23, 2015

Acupressure Massage: The Therapist Goes to War

The husband loves me - he sent me off on a Sunday afternoon to get a foot massage (ahhh...Top Feet!) and an acupressure massage.

I'd never had an acupressure massage before. By the way, it's the same thing as shiatsu massage, which you may have heard of.

(I had heard of shiatsu, but I'd never had that either.)

Anyway, it was the best and worst hour of my life.

In acupressure/shiatsu, the therapist uses his fingers, thumbs and palms to apply pressure to release muscle knots. It also includes assisted stretching and joint movement.

For a runner who hasn't done yoga in a while (bad me) or rolled in a while (really bad me) and just ran 9-miles for the first time in a while the day before (that's me), there were some serious knots, tight muscles and tight muscle fascia.

For my therapist, serious knots and tight muscles/muscle fascia was merely an afternoon challenge, a personal battle of sorts. Therapist vs the body. And, as the movie Highlander says, "There can be only one."

He won.

Ho-ly-cow, he won.

I can't wait to go back.


No comments:

Post a Comment