New Header

Image Map

Friday, August 12, 2011

Unexpected Benefits

Monday I took our car in to the shop (visited my absolute favorite mechanics - they are the best!). Turns out my small problem required a not-so-small (or short) fix.

While I was waiting, I pulled out my latest book and got to reading. By the way, that's a habit I picked up living overseas - always have a book handy to read because you never know when you'll be waiting somewhere longer than expected.

Anyway, I was there long enough to finish my book and, just like that, I discovered I'd finished another one of my 101 List goals - to read five autobiographies.

Here's what I read:
  1. My grandparents' life stories - loved it!
  2. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin - great insight into his work ethic and amazing ability to be in the right place at the right time
  3. Nine Years in the Saddle - the life story of one of the last cowboys
  4. First to Fight - the life story of a Comanche elder (still alive) who knew his grandfather's fellow warrior, Quanah Parker
  5. Voices and Silences - fascinating stories from James Earl Jones about overcoming his stutter and building a career in the theatre
My favorite part of this process was getting to "hear" the voices of those telling their personal stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment